Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Tune For Tuesday

It's time for another installment of 

A Tune For Tuesday 

Each Tuesday, I will try to post a song from my playlist. These are songs that would be on a soundtrack of my life. I hope you enjoy them.

*          *          *          *          *

The Beach Boys are one of the greatest American bands in the history of rock 'n roll.  I feel this is their best song.  Paul McCartney has stated on numerous occasions that God Only Knows the greatest song ever.  In fact, it is well documented that it was this song, as well as the rest of the Beach Boys album Pet Sounds, that caused Paul McCartney to start composing the Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album.  If a Beatle says this, then I think you may have a future in music.

One of the greatest love songs of all time, and it starts with the line, "I may not always love you..." I'm sorry, what was that?!  I may NOT always love you?

"I may not always love you.
But long as there are stars above you,
You never need to doubt it.
Ill make you so sure about it.
God only knows what I'd be without you."


I talk with my student writers almost daily about how each piece of writing should start with a "hook."  This is a great example of how the best first lines are the ones that make you say, "Huh?!" or "Whoa, that was unexpected."

This song has a simple message of I am who I am because of you.  I believe that we are all influenced by everyone we have ever come in contact with.  People move in and out of our lives, and each of us leaves their mark on the other.  We are made up of bits and pieces of all who ever touched your life.  You are more because of it, and you would be less if they had not touched you.  

This song is, at it essence, a love song.  But, for me, it is about how we should cherish those people that come in and out of our lives and make us better versions of ourselves.





No comments:

Post a Comment