Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Tune For Tuesday

It's time for another installment of 

A Tune For Tuesday 

Each Tuesday, I will try to post a song from my playlist. These are songs that would be on a soundtrack of my life. I hope you enjoy them.


This past weekend, I traveled to Chicago to celebrate my grandfather's 100th birthday.  Obviously, this is an impressive milestone.  But, what makes this even more special is the man we were celebrating.  Over 100 people from around the country gathered in Hinsdale, Illinois to honor the life of my grandfather.  It was awe-inspiring to say the least.  It made me think about what kind of life I am living.  What will my legacy be?

 My grandfather, Scott Jones, is the patriarch of the family. He is a Princeton University graduate. He was stationed in Paris when victory was declared in Europe.  He started an environmental protection group in Northern Michigan that spent 14 years fighting to protect a stretch of land from being developed into a golf course, losing many close friends in the process.  He had a chance encounter with one of the most important historical figures ever.  (I don't want to spoil it, but his name rhymes with Schmalbert Scheinstein.)  

I am Scott Jones.  My grandfather's namesake.  I realized that it is my duty to live up to his legacy.  I don't know if I will ever do it, but each day I will try my hardest.

Here is a link to a profile about my grandfather in Hinsdale Magazine.  The article starts on page 37.


This week's Tune For Tuesday is "Father, Son" by Peter Gabriel.  It is one of my favorites, and it always reminds me of the special relationship between a father and son.  The melody is a perfect match to these poetic lyrics.  It was written by Gabriel during a yoga retreat that he took with his father.  

"Remember the breakwaters down by the waves
I first found my courage
Knowing daddy could save
I could hold back the tide
With my dad by my side"




8 comments:

  1. Beautiful song Scott and I love the story about your grandfather. What a great idea...playlist Tuesday. It's an interesting way to get to know someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Music is such a large part of my life. I wanted to share my soundtrack with others.

      Delete
  2. Scott,
    I'm a grandparent gal. I have a million stories of time with my grandparents and cherish them all. How wonderful you were able to celebrate your grandfather's 100th birthday. To live for a century is a dream most of us will not see. I always imagine all that is seen. Think about living from 1914 to 2014. The changes in transportation, communication, and living alone are worth days and days of conversation. That doesn't include the history of world events. Thanks for sharing your grandfathers story here today and this great song. I, for one, enjoy A Tune for Tuesday. I'm looking forward to many more Tuesday songs and stories.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback, Cathy. I sometimes feel a song can create a mood and share an experience more perfectly than words.

      Delete
  3. Scott,

    This was a beautiful share and amazing song. Your story and selection resonate with me as a son who lost his father to young and a father who lives for the moments with my sons. Thank you for sharing this great post and song.

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback, Drew. I'm sorry for your loss. This song is a gem, and it should be more well-known. I'm sure your sons appreciate every moment you spend with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful legacy your grandfather is leaving. Not just in the deeds he has done, the things he has seen, and the stories he tells. But also in the family he has created. I'm sure he is proud of all of your accomplishments and hard work. It's a different time we live in, but you are making your mark just the same in the things that you do for the youth you work with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always good to read about what's happening in the life of people as you got to learn from their experience. Thank you for sharing this experience with us, good post

    ReplyDelete