Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Tune For Tuesday

It's time for another installment of 

A Tune For Tuesday 

Each Tuesday, I will try to post a song from my playlist. These are songs that would be on a soundtrack of my life. I hope you enjoy them.

*         *          *          *          *

"I took my love, I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
'Til the landslide brought it down
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changin' ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?"



Song lyrics are poetry. Some good, some bad. But this song is one of the finest pieces of poetry I've ever heard.  Landslide by Fleetwood Mac is a timeless song about...well, I'm not really sure. And that is what makes it so brilliant. The lyrics can mean different things to different people. I have my own interpretation of this song, which may or may not be the same as your interpretation. The best pieces of poetry empower the reader to use their own life experiences to help make meaning.

At this moment in my life, this song makes me think about time. Past, present and future. "Climbed a mountain and I turned around/And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills/'til the landslide brought it down." For me, our journey through life is climbing a mountain. We walk on the hard jagged mountainside of life, constantly reaching for the pinnacle. Sometimes we realize that we are not prepared for the changes that surround us.

As an educator, reflection is part of my daily life. I strive to climb that mountain and be a better teacher than I was the day before. This song evokes powerful imagery and inspires reflection. It's like a faithful old friend.

2 comments:

  1. Not to insult you, or to show how little I know about music, but I thought the Dixie Chicks were the only ones to sing this song. Oops! Enjoyed the little music lesson. Oh, change.

    Glad you are keeping the Tuesday event going. I'm going to try to remember to join next week. I have an idea for a tune and a poem.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cathy, maybe I should offer a digital MUSIC class at the ILC. This song Landslide come around way before those Dixie Chicks took it. It's such a powerful lyric.

    Thanks for commenting. It would be exciting if the #tune4tues started to spread.

    ReplyDelete