Saturday, June 13, 2015

Adding Spice to Read Aloud

In the early days of my teaching career, a former administrator once told me, PICK ONE THING.  She said that each year I should pick one area of my teaching craft to which I give special attention and spend just a little more time and energy nurturing.  For example, two years ago I concentrated on becoming more purposeful and intentional in reading/writing conferences.  I wanted to improve the quality of my conversations with my students and use the feedback to plan future teaching points that met their needs.  I read books, I consulted my school’s literacy coach and used Twitter to find resources that I could use to do this.  Without ignoring other aspects of the job, I spent just a little extra time reflecting and scrutinizing this one particular area.  With this past school year in the books, there is one part of my literacy block that clearly stood under the spotlight—read aloud.  

Year after year, read aloud tends to be my students’ favorite time of day.  Quite frankly, it is mine as well.  I love sitting with my students and reading a great book.  And the discussions…the discussions can be so rich and dynamic.  The daily read aloud builds community and allows readers of all levels to enjoy the same text.  Read aloud also sparks some amazing conversations about reading strategies and our reading lives.  So, this year, I put a great deal more time and energy than ever before planning how to improve this critical time of the day.  This was my ONE THING.

I started out trying to read articles and books.  I consulted with my literacy coach and colleagues.  I even tried to use Twitter to find ideas.  However, I didn’t have to look very far because it was my students who guided me.  I just had to listen to what the students were saying and offering as feedback in order to make the necessary modifications.  Here are a few examples of changes I made so our read aloud time was more productive:

  • Moving the conversation - Sometimes, my students and I would get to talking so much about a character or plot event, that we run out of time too quickly.  So, I experimented with using Padlet as a way to continue the conversation beyond the classroom walls.  Before the day’s reading started, I asked five students to get an iPad so they could add to our Read Aloud Wall.  While I read, these students recorded their thoughts or typed important details or "a-ha moments" from the book.  After we finished reading that day’s chapters, or before we read the following day, the class and I visited our Padlet and discussed what the students wrote.  On occasion, students added their thoughts to the Padlet at home.  This didn’t replace our interactive discussions while reading.  Yet, it only enhances them.  Here are some examples from this year.

  • Choosing wisely - Selecting a new read aloud book is one of the most stressful decisions I have to make because I am not one to read the same books year after year.  I always want to introduce my students to a wide assortment of rich middle-grade novels in a variety of authors, genres and formats.  My hope is to expand their reading horizons and let them see the variety of books just waiting to be read.   I try to pick books that alternate between male and female protagonists.  If the last book was more thought-provoking, my next read aloud may be more action-packed or humorous.  Not every read aloud has to have a deep theme or tons of figurative language.  This year, I even read my first graphic novel during read aloud by projecting the book using my Kindle app on an iPad and AirServer.  Choosing the perfect book for my reading community is almost more important than anything else.

  • Project the text - This year, I read El Deafo by Cece Bell, and it was one of my most successful read alouds ever.  Since it is a graphic novel, I downloaded the Kindle version and projected it onto the screen.  In doing so, my students were visually captivated by Cece Bell’s wonderful illustrations.  It allowed us to talk about how to truly read a graphic novel, and use the different elements of a graphic novel to make meaning.  We discussed panels, gutters, dialogue bubbles, and thought bubbles.  My students grew accustomed to having the text projected as I read, and as a result, my students insisted that I project the text for our next read aloud.  What I love about this idea is that now I can model fluent and expressive reading while students see the same text I’m seeing.  This opened up conversations such as: how punctuation affected my voice or how authors use text features to create meaning.  Not only that, but I used the highlighting tool in the Kindle app to make any words or sentences that made an impact on me or made me ask a question as I read.  I also highlighted authentic examples from the text that corresponded with teaching points from writing workshops.  I found read aloud to be a perfect opportunity to show students how much our reading and writing workshop is intertwined. 

There are certain fundamental ingredients that every chef needs when he/she makes chicken parmesan.  Yet, each chef adds his/her own spices, seasonings and extras to these ingredients.  And THAT is what makes each chicken parmesan special.  Like a chef, I chose to tweak the ingredients of my read aloud, and offer up a new version of this special meal.  The fundamentals stayed the same:  Read aloud has always been a powerful component of reading workshop.  Read aloud has always been the most popular time of the school day for my students.  Read aloud has always had the purpose of creating a community of readers and exposing students to an assortment of books, authors and genres.  These truths are unwavering.  Yet, this past school year was a chance for me to overhaul some of the essential ingredients and kick it up a notch, so my students and I could enjoy this special time together.

4 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your narrow focus. I tend to try to improve a little of everything, scattershot style, and wind up muddying more water than making any real difference.

    I have one question about this year's focus -- do you have a paid Padlet account? And I have one more question -- what's NEXT year's focus?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Mary Lee. I do not have a paid Padlet account. I'm still not sure what the benefits are to paying. I know that they have some new paid options. Need to research it more.

      As far as next year goes, I really have to wait and see where the students guide me. I changed my writing workshop some this year, and I'm not convinced it was truly successful. So, writing workshop might be my next "project."

      Delete
  2. What a great post. I know that focusing on one thing is important and I always have such a hard time doing it. Thanks for sharing your ideas and examples. The addition of technology gives you and your students more options for discussions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Julie. I agree that picking one thing is challenging. However, I didn't really have intentions of focusing on read aloud. To be honest, the students really guided me towards this based on our read aloud conversations. Our first few read alouds were so powerful, I decided that I really needed to hone in on this and make it special.

      Delete