Tuesday, March 8, 2016

SOL - A Tune For Tuesday

It's time for another installment of
Each Tuesday, I will try to post a song from my playlist. These are songs that would be on a soundtrack of my life. I hope you enjoy them.

*         *          *          *          *

Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell

 
"Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all"

This is one of Joni Mitchell's best known songs.  Once you listen to it and listen to the lyrics, I think you'll understand why.  It's hard to ignore this beautiful melody.  But the lyrics and their message are equally as powerful.  For me, this song represents how our point of view about simple every day events like clouds, love and friendship change as we have life experiences.  When I look up into the sky, I am always in awe of the sometimes puffy, sometimes wispy clouds.  However, when I am in a plane looking at clouds from high above, clouds become a nuisance that block my view of the beautiful landscape below.

As I enter the phase of life called "middle aged," I often try to consider things from different points of view.  I always thought that as I grow up I would learn more.  We think that we will know everything.  When, in fact, all that we know for sure is that "I really don't know life at all."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Scott. I needed this. I love Joni Mitchell and this has been a keystone song for me since high school. It continues to resonate in different ways.

    ReplyDelete